image of a young girl in a wheelchair

Brief Overview

A range of health services is available locally to support children with physical or learning disabilities.

These start at birth for those identified at this early age and follow the child through until they leave full time education.

All children will have access to their GP and a health visitor/school nurse dependant on their age. These universal services will help to assess and refer your child for any additional help. Please contact them first if you have any concerns about your child’s development.

Where a health professional such as health visitor, school nurse, GP, or an early years provider such as a child minder, nursery, school etc have concerns, the child may need additional support to ensure they achieve and develop to their best potential.

Advice may be required around speech language and communication, motor skills, behaviour difficulties and / or sensory difficulties, sleep difficulties, feeding swallowing and nutrition, respiratory difficulties which can be gained from paediatricians children’s therapy services, specialist paediatric nursing services, children’s learning disability team, health visiting, school nursing and children’s mental health teams.

For further details regarding specific health services please check the Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Trust and Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust websites.

Additional Information and Resources 


Personal Health Budgets

  • Visit our Personal Health Budgets information [opens in new window]
  • watch the video 'An Introduction to Personal Health Budgets in Continuing Healthcare' [opens in new window]

Education, health and care plans (EHC Plans) 

Person shaped support 

Paediatric Physiotherapy 

  • A selection of guidance leaflets for parents from the Paediatric Physiotherapists Team, Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust available here [opens in a new window]
  • Parents Information Page from the Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapists [opens in new window]
SEND (Special educational needs and disabilities) information and guidance 

Visit our Information, advice and guidance section for SEND related documents and guides [opens in new window]