Nurseries, pre-schools, school nurseries or childminders have the responsibility to support any children with special educational needs and disability (SEND) aged 0-5 within their setting.
Early years practitioners can follow and access an early years pathway and referral process, which can be seen in the 'Useful information' section below.
The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework requires all childcare providers who are registered with OFSTED to complete assessments and observations of the children in their care. If additional needs are identified, the provider must have a discussion with the child’s parent or carer and with their consent follow a graduated approach to meeting the child’s needs and signpost to other professionals as needed. If extra support is still required when all other strategies have been tested then providers can refer to the Local Authority's Information and Childcare Team (ICCT) for support plus. The criteria and referral process for support plus is also detailed in the 'Useful information' section below.
The ICCT coordinate a comprehensive training programme for the early years and childcare workforce. Part of this training programme offers subsidised accredited and CPD training courses on SEND. SENCO training and behaviour management are courses that are offered on a termly basis. Other SEND training is sourced following a training survey which identifies demand for specific training needs.
Name: Andrea Riley
Telephone: 01925 442043
Address: Warrington Borough Council, Buttermarket Street, Warrington, WA1 2NH
- Working together to safeguard children a guide to inter-agency working [pdf]
- Warrington Safeguarding Children Board Procedures Manual [opens in new window]
- A guide to help with childcare costs and other financial support [pdf]
- A guide to childcare and fees in Warrington [pdf]
Parent/carer and toddler groups
Pre-schools and nurseries
- A guide to nursery classes [pdf]
- A guide to pre-schools [pdf]
- A guide to private day nurseries [pdf]
Support plus information and forms
Family Support Model information and forms
- Family Support Model documents including FSM01 - FSM04 [opens in new window]
SEND legislation and guidance
Annual review documents
Education, health & care (EHC plans)
The portage service
The CAF Team
Early years development journal
- Early years development journal [pdf]
- Letter about availability of development journal [pdf]
- How to use the early years development journal [pdf]
Person shaped support
SEND (Special educational needs and disabilities) information and guidance
- Visit our Information, advice and guidance section for SEND related documents and guides [opens in new window]
The SEND Gateway, an online portal offering education professionals free, easy access to high quality information, resources and training for meeting the needs of children with special educational needs and disabilities.